Friday, August 11, 2006

Stewp

One of my dearest friends gave Jeremy and I the most creative and useful gift for our wedding: a recipe for stewp and all the ingradients and supplies! Let me explain what stewp is. When my friend Rebekah and I were about 7 years old we used to spend our Sunday afternoons together at each others houses. One Sunday her mom made beef and barley stew for dinner. It was delicious! We debated over whether we should call it stew or soup and when I asked for more, I accidentally said, "Please pass the stewp!" We laughed and laughed and ever since then we have been calling it stewp. We were being so silly that we decided that stewp makes you stew-pid. So now whenever we want to get stew-pid we eat stewp!

Since I had all the ingradients and supplies to make this I made stewp for our first home-cooked meal. Someimtes all there is to cooking is having the right ingredients and following the right recipe!


Doesn't it look yummy in our new bowls?


My husband enjoying his stewp!

I forgot to bring the recipe with me today. I'll add it later.

Here's the recipe! And I also included the recipe for Boller, delicious rolls to go with the stwep.

Beef and Barley Stew (aka "Stewp")

1 pound stew meat, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup barley (NOT the quick kind!)
2 medium onions, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove of garlic, minced)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet

1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 meduim green pepper, diced
1/4 teaspoon thyme

Brown meat in oil in a large cooking pot. Add 6 cups water and all the ingredients down to the Kitchen Bouquet. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for another hour. Take the bay leaf out and throw it away. Serve with homemade boller (see below). Enjoy!

Boller

In a large bowl combine:
5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons cardamon

In a 1-quart measuring cup, combine:
3 cups warm water
1/2 cup powdered milk
3/4 cup canola oil

Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
Keep adding flour until you can knead it.
Knead for 5-10 minutes on a floured surface or until snooth and elastic.
Let rise in a bowl 2 times, then form rolls ona greased cookie sheet.
Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled.

Bake about 12-15 minutes at 350F.
Remove from oven, and brush with butter while hot. Let cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Please do post the recipe...it'll be good to make as the weather starts cooling down. It's still really hot here...I bet it's cooler there.

The story behind the name is funny. We laughed. =)

Are you enjoying cooking for your new husband?

Jessica

Bonny said...

I added the recipe and the recipe for the bread that goes with the stewp! It's really good! Let me know what you think after you make it.

Cooking has been fun--it's one of my favorite things to do. I always feel the most fulfilled when I'm cooking. Lately it's been a little hard to cook good meals becasue we're still stocking up on ingredients and haven't been home a whole lot. We're still getting settled in.