Friday, June 15, 2007

Katie Made a Cake!

Actually, Katie has made this cake twice in the last few months---it's that good! I have always liked bundt cakes, pound cakes, coffee cakes.... oh, yes, I pretty much like most any type of cake, but this Tucson Lemon Cake takes the cake. (Ok, you can laugh at that pun). This cake tastes fabulous with coffee in the morning!

I'll stop rambling now, and just give the recipe. :-)
Ruth




Tucson Lemon Cake
16 servings


Cake Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine, softened

3 eggs

2 and 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup poppy seed
2 Tbl. grated lemon peel

2 Tbl. lemon juice


Lemon Glaze Ingredients:

Mix glaze ingredients together.

2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup melted margarine

2 Tbl. grated lemon peel

1/4 cup lemon juice


Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan or tube pan 10x4 inches. Beat sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix flour, soda and salt. Beat into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in remaining ingredients except for glaze. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Immediately poke holes in cake with a long-tined fork. Pour 2/3 of the glaze over top of cake. Cool. Invert onto plate. Spread with remaining glaze.



Changes we made:

We only used 1/2 the amount of poppy seed that the recipe called for. Poppy seed is rather expensive and we decided to use less so that we could make this cake more often. Does anybody know where to get poppy seed at a good price? Can I save the seeds from poppy plants and use them in baking? I should do a bit of research on this.

We didn't have buttermilk the second time Katie made the cake, so she made her own by mixing some lemon juice with regular milk. I don't remember the ratio, but it's a standard buttermilk substitute.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This cake sounds wonderful and I'm going to make it (hopefully) tomorrow. I love the recipes you share so I'm sure it will be great. I get poppy seeds at a little farmer's market type store. It comes in a 1 lb. ziploc bag, about 2 cups? and costs $3.00. Is that a very big difference than the grocery store? I don't use it that often so it lasts forever around here. Thank you for the recipes. ~Karen

Heather said...

Ruth,

The cake looks wonderful and since we live so close to Tucson, I will have to try it.

I am not sure about Poppy seeds,since Steve has never been able to eat them because they can give you a false positive on a drug test.

Love, Heather