Monday, June 05, 2006

Mexican adventures

Lately every time I go to the grocery store, I invariably end up at the Mexican aisle looking at all the peppers, powders, seasonings, and sauces that I have no idea how to cook with, much less pronounce. It's hard to resist buying stuff just to experiment with it. I love Mexican food, and I'm taken with the idea of learning how to make authentic dishes. I long to learn how to make tamales...eating them at Christmas and Thanksgiving is a lost part of my heritage that I want to have again.

This morning started with a pot of pinto beans on the stove. I'd originally planned to make cornbread to go with them, but as the day progressed, dinner plans got progressively bigger. Mom e-mailed me her recipe for green chili, and I learned how to make fried potatoes from this website. Both came out well---Mom, you would be proud of my green chili. It was so yummy, but not hot enough. Next time I'll use more chilies.

Here are pictures from dinner...the green chili looks red because I put a can of tomato sauce in it. Does it look right, Mom?

cheers,
Jessica

Beans and fried potatoes...yummy!


Below a rough recipe for the chili that my Mom makes. There are no measurements, but you can get the general idea. We eat green chili in our beans to add flavor, for smothered burritos, and with chips.

Cook ground beef with salt, pepper, and chopped onions till meat is brown. Remove meat and onions from pan.
Brown flour in the remaining oil, adding vegetable oil if necessary.
Add water, garlic powder, salt, chili peppers, and optional small can of tomato sauce.
Add meat back in.
Simmer till thickened.


--------------------------

This recipe below comes from the cookbook and is similar to the recipe above, but with measurement guidelines. We always use pork or ground beef instead.

Green Chili from the cookbook:

1 1/2 lbs. beef chuck
garlic powder
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp oil (to brown meat)
4 Tbsp. oil (to brown flour)
4 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. onion, chopped
4 Anaheim chili peppers, diced
3/4 cup meat broth (meat juices)

Cut meat into bite size pieces, season well before cooking. Heat skillet, add oil and brown the meat, saving meat juices. Add water as needed to make meat broth (at least 3/4 cup), cover. Once meat is cooked, set aside.
In a cooking pot, heat oil and brown the flour. Add onion and saute, then add tomatoes, chilies and mix well. Add meat broth, stirring over low heat. Simmer 5 to 8 minues, covered.
Add meat to cooking pot, mix, simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Leave covered until serving time. (Serves 4 to 6).

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Jessie, I am so proud of you! Your meal looks fabulous. And yes, the chili looks just right. The reason it's called green chili is because it has green chiles in it. It's okay that it's red, it's still green chili.

About tamales... guess you should have paid attention when Grandma was here last Christmas. Remember we made some tamales? Of course, I need more practice....

love you,
Mom