Monday, June 19, 2006

Arizona Broccoli Salad


On Saturday I made a variation of a great salad recipe that I originally got from my sister-in-law (Bonny's mom!). Over the years I have made this salad many times, sometimes following the recipe and other times varying the ingredients. I have found that this salad is fast to make, and that it is usually well-received at potlucks or other gatherings. Some of my children do not like the onions in the salad, but personally I like the added flavor the onions give. This is not only a tasty salad but also colorful and appealing to look at.
Ruth


Arizona Broccoli Salad

1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c. red onion, chopped 1/2 c. raisins 8 strips bacon, fried & crumbled

Dressing:
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vinegar

Mix dressing ingredients and set aside. Combine other ingredients and then stir in dressing. Chill 30 minutes or more before serving. Ideas for other added ingredients: cauliflower; tomatoes; peanuts



5 comments:

Jessica said...

Mom, were you the one that took this to the party Saturday night?!?

I love this salad so much. It's awesome.

Jessica said...

ps. Always add peanuts. The combination of raisens and peanuts is mouthwatering.

Ruth said...

Yes, Jessica, that was me! I had peanuts but decided not to put them in because Daddy said he didn't like how the peanuts get soft. It would have been okay though, because there wasn't much leftover salad---not enough time for the peanuts to get soft, if that makes sense. Mom

Anonymous said...

I made this salad for a church pot-luck Wed night and it was gone in no time and yes I used the peanuts! Delicious

Ruth said...

Patsy, Did you get the apron pattern yet? I mailed it a few days ago.