Friday, October 06, 2006

Cheddar-Sausage Scones

I served these lovely Chedder-Sausage Scones for breakfast this morning. Different than your usual scone, these are more like a breakfast biscuit with a sweet taste. I thought they were good served with fried eggs and hot apricot tea, and I would definitely make them again to serve at a breakfast brunch or potluck.

This recipe makes quite a bit--I cut it in half for Justin and me and we still had leftovers. I really liked these, but next time, I think I would cut out most of the sugar and add some salt for a more traditional flavor. Of course, then they would be less like scones, and more like biscuits... I guess it's just personal preference. =)

Jessica


Cheddar-Sausage Scones

Prep 20 minutes
Bake 12-15 minutes

1 12 oz. package pork sausage
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk

Preheat oven to 400. In a skillet, cook sausage until brown, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain off fat and set aside.

In a large mising bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in sausage and cheddar cheese. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add buttermilk all at once and stir just until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10-12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide in half.

On a lightly floured surface, pat each half of the dough into a 3/4" thick circle. Using a 2 1/2" floured biscuit cutter, cut out dough. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, 1" apart.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Make 16 scones.

No comments: