Monday, January 08, 2007

I tried a new recipe!

Black Bean Pizza

    I wanted to try something new, so I looked for a simple recipe that called for the ingredients I had on hand and I found this one in my Taste of Home book. It was very tasty! My husband and I enjoyed the mild flavor and healthy alternative to regular pizza. We still have leftovers for today!

    Ingredients:

  • 1 tube (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) shredded Mexican cheese blend*, divided

  • Directions:
Press dough into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 4-6 minutes or until crust just begins to brown.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add zucchini; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes; drain. Sprinkle 2/3 cup of cheese over crust. Top with bean mixture and remaining cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 15-20 servings. Editor's Note: A combination of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses may be substituted for the Mexican-blend cheeses.

I made some yummy treats for Christmas, but never got around to posting them. I have mono and my ability to cook much comes and goes (just something I'm learning to live with). I've missed making homemade bread and Chinese steamed buns. I'm waiting till I get some bamboo steamers before I make the Chinese buns again. They are SO delicious! Everyone loves them! I'll share a recipe as soon as I make them again.

Happy Cooking!

No comments: