Monday, January 08, 2007

Raspberry Streusel Muffins

I made these muffins as a special treat last night, and they were so wonderful. I've never bought fresh raspberries before this, but they make the most delightful addition to muffins. This recipe, found at allrecipes.com, is light and moist, not too sweet, and topped with an oatmeal crumble. These were perfect for dinner, and again for breakfast this morning!

Raspberry Streusel Muffins


Makes: 12-18

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries

Streusel:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine


Directions

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, milk and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture just until moistened. Gently fold in raspberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

5 comments:

Elissa said...

Mmmm! Looks yummy, do you think you could substitute the raspberries with other berries? (I don't really like raspberries.)
~Elissa

Jessica said...

Oh yeah, I think they would be great with blueberries or blackberries... I muffin base itself was excellent regardless of what berries you used.

Anonymous said...

Do you think I could just leave the fruit out and make it into a normal muffin???

Jessica said...

Try it and let me know how it works!

The muffin itself really wasn't that sweet though...I thought it was perfect to set off the flavor of the raspberries.

Anonymous said...

Muffins with streusel topping sounds really good. I'm with 'anonymous' though, I wonder if they'd taste good without berries? I don't think most of my family is crazy about having those in muffins.
Perhaps I'll try it sometime!