Monday, May 07, 2007

6 Loaves of Wheat Bread

I used to make bread every week, 6 or 7 loaves at a time, on schedule, without fail. Those days are past, but today I made bread for the first time in probably 9 months or more. The bread came out great, so I thought I'd post pictures. After today's success, I think I should get back into the routine of making bread again! The recipe I used is below.

I'm thankful I have the Bosch mixer which allows me to make 6 loaves of bread at one time, and I don't have to do the kneading. :-) I also have a Whisper Mill wheat grinder, but believe me, it grinds much louder than a whisper!

The following 2 pictures show how I shape each loaf. Basically, I just gather the dough into an oval shape, smoothing out the top as I go. I then pinch the dough together into a "seam" (can you tell I like to sew?) and then place the shaped loaf into my pan, seam side down.






Here are six loaves of bread after they have risen for about 20 minutes, ready to go into the oven.


Fresh out of the oven!


I always brush softened butter onto each loaf. It helps make the crust soft, and I think it makes the bread look pretty, too.


The finished bread, ready to eat!


Recipe: This is the recipe that I typed out for my older girls when I first taught them to make our bread years ago. The original copy is well worn, burned in one spot, discolored with oil and flour spills, and with a few changes penciled in. I plan on printing out another copy and teaching Ellen how to make the bread. At 11 years old she'll do just fine.


Basic Bread The Smith Way

6 cups hot tap water
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
4 tablespoons quick-rise yeast
freshly ground whole wheat flour---lots of it
2 eggs (optional, but I did use them in the bread pictured)

Mix the above ingredients all together in the Bosch bowl. (Measure the oil before the honey so that the honey will come out of the measure cup easily). Let the mixture "sponge" for 10 mintues or until bubbly. (You can be grinding the rest of your wheat during this time).


Add:
2-3 tablespoons of salt
3 tablespoons of dough enhancer (I didn't have any, so I omitted it).
2 tablespoons of vital gluten (I also omitted this).

Mix briefly, then add more flour as the mixer is running. Add enough flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl. The dough will feel more sticky than not sticky, but not too sticky. :-)

Note: I added about 1-1/2 cups of white flour in this batch because I like the taste and texture better than if I use 100% whole wheat.

Knead for 4 minutes on speed 2, or longer if you think it needs more.

Grease your pans (I use a non-stick spray).

Spread a little oil on your hands and on the counter, and then take the dough out of the mixer. Shape into 6 or 7 loaves and place loaves in pans. Let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and then put bread into oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. When the bread is finished, turn the loaves onto a cooling rack and brush with butter.


6 comments:

Bessers said...

Ohhh - this looks wonderful! I recently got a grain mill and have been trying my hand at fresh-ground wheat bread, but haven't yet gotten it to turn out quite right unless I use at least half white flour. Your post has inspired me to keep trying. Can you give a guestimate as to how many cups of flour you use?

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful! My only question is...what do you do with 6 loaves of bread at one time?

There's only two of us, and we struggle to finish one loaf a week before it goes bad.... Help!

Ruth said...

Bessers, I'd guesstimate about 12-16 cups of flour. I'll measure next time and post back here.

Andrea, well...we have a large family, 5 children still at home (see victoryhill (dot) blogspot (dot) com, and the bread doesn't last too long. I do put some of the loaves in the freezer and pull one out when we need it.

Thanks for the nice compliments.
Ruth

Heather said...

Ruth,

They look so yummy!! I haven't made bread since about Feb. when I life became so hectic! I can't wait to get our belongings and make some bread. :o) Yum!! My recipe is very similar to yours. My recipe page also sounds very similar!

Love,Heather

Martha said...

I'm going to have to try this! Now that it is summer I can find more time to bake. Thanks for the great visuals in pictures.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this practical, large batch, bosch using recipe. I have been searching for a long time to find one that my family can actually use. Also thank you for showing me that bread can turn out beautifully without the extra gluten and dough enhancer. (because I don't have them and would rather not complicate things) thanks again. I am going to try it right now. Jana and Kids