Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Old Country Baked Spaghetti

If ever I had to choose just one recipe that is our family's favorite meal, it would have to be this baked spaghetti. Years ago I received the recipe from a friend named Carol. If I recall, she got it from The Old County Italian Restaurant in Denver. (I did a google search for the restaurant but did not get any results, so I don't know if it's still in business or not).


~Old Country Baked Spaghetti, ready to be baked in the oven~

I don't have the original recipe anymore, and I'm sure that the baked spaghetti I make today is something far different from the recipe I made 10 years ago. :-) It doesn't make any difference how I make it, it's always a favorite meal!

Old Country Baked Spaghetti

I don't measure the ingredients, but just throw it all together, depending on how much I'm making.

spaghetti or fetticcine noodles, cooked al dente (I used fetticcine today).
butter (approx. 1 stick for 2 pounds of uncooked noodles)
salt
garlic powder
cottage cheese
parsley flakes
grated parmesan cheese
grated mozzarella cheese
other cheeses (optional) I usually put in a handful of cheddar or fiesta blend, just for color.

Mix the above ingredients together, place in baking dish, and bake until hot. Well, I used to layer the ingredients in the baking dish, the same way you layer lasagna. Anymore I just mix everything together before placing it in the pan. You can do it either way.

Serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce, bread, and a salad. I rarely buy bottled spaghetti sauce, and today was no exception. My sauce consists of canned tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, water, garlic, salt, Italian spices, oregano, and either browned ground beef or meatballs. I like to make my sauce early in the day and let it simmer until dinner time.

Ellen told me that I should not share this "secret family recipe" here. Well, here it is! If you make this recipe, please let me know how you like it!

Ruth

8 comments:

The Little Red Hens said...

I for one have had it at your house and it is very yummy! In fact it is now one of my favorite ways to serve spaghetti. Hmmmm.....maybe that is what I will fix for dinner tonight!

Julie

Jessica said...

In my opinion, this is the ONLY way to eat spaghetti...I've been spoiled. It is SO good!

I have 3 small pans of this in my freezer to eat after the baby comes, and it's getting harder and harder to resist the temptation to pull one out and serve it early.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I found your blog through a link at another. I was wondering... do you put the sauce on before you bake or serve it on the side? It's been a long day so if this is a goofy question, please play along! :)

Ruth said...

Julie, Did you fix the spaghetti yesterday? I'm glad you like it!

Jessica, like you, nobody else in our house wants spaghetti unless I fix it this way. Spoiled, yes!

Susie, It's not a goofy question. I always serve the sauce on the side. Some of my children prefer the baked spaghetti without sauce, and others prefer it with lots of sauce.

Anonymous said...

This was very good. I tried it after seeing it mentioned on another blog. My daughter loved it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me know Ruth! I do have a non-sauce eater, so that is a geat idea!

:)

Anonymous said...

We tried it! :) We loved it!

I posted my "version" (with the measurements I used)here: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/three_cheese_baked_spaghetti

Thanks for the excellent recipe!!!

It's a Fantastic Life said...

Hi! I happened onto your blog from a link at another blog (I can't remember which one now?!). I love your blog! I tried this baked spaghetti recipe last night. It is amazing! Thank you so much for posting it. It is a new favorite of ours now!