Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Day in the Life of a Loaf of French Bread

I am always on the lookout for good deals when it comes to groceries. When in a store, I grab the sales papers and swing by the marked down food racks. I hit upon a bargain this weekend when I ran into Walmart to pick up a few items.

In the back of the store, our Walmart has their marked down Bakery products. I found their loaves of sliced French bread marked down to 75 cents a loaf. A great bargain in my book so I bought two!

Monday morning began our adventures with our two loaves of bread. While the children cleaned their rooms I made a hot breakfast....French Toast. A few eggs, a little milk, some cinnamon and vanilla and I had a tasty batter. This bread was sliced thinly so I was able to feed our 8 breakfast eaters on less than a loaf of bread. After grilling the battered bread, we added powdered sugar and sliced strawberries. It was a success!

Lunchtime rolled around and our French bread came to the rescue. I toasted several slices and then spread them with some canned spaghetti sauce. We added black olives, mushrooms and a few veggies that I had on hand. We topped it with grated cheddar and put it all under the broiler for a few minutes for a tasty pizza for lunch.

Much to my amazement we still had some French bread left so at dinner I garliced and buttered it for a yummy addition to our spaghetti dinner. I spent $1.50 for those two loaves of bread so it came out to less than 6 cents a serving for bread. Not a bad deal!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, that's amazing! I needed some of those markdown breads yesterday when I went grocery shopping. Super C doesn't have a lot of selection and I had to end up getting one loaf of french bread for $2.30 and 2 bags of bagels for $3+ each.

Ruth said...

Don't you just love it when that kind of thing happens?! Good for you, Julie. And to have French toast on French bread... how perfect!

Jenn said...

If you ever have a little left over and becomes slightly dry, it will be perfect to use for bread crumbs ;)